Week(s) in Review - February 27 - March 12, 2023

 



Currently I feel so confused!

One day it's spring and everything is blooming and then the next day I am having to worry about plants being zapped by a freeze. 

Of course, considering California is washing away from all the rain it has gotten over the past few months, I guess I should keep my mouth closed. It could be worse.

But I have come down with Spring Fever big time!

And the past couple of weeks have zoomed by. On one hand, I feel so busy. On the other hand, I feel like I am getting nothing done. Sigh...

Anyway, my Extension Master Gardener class is going well. Last week we looked at weeds. I still consider them in one category - weed. But I don't really know all their names. But frankly, I'm that neighbor who could care less about 'grass' and the perfect lawn. Much to the disappointment of my next door neighbor. She's really disappointed to find out the seed I was sowing in my front yard was for Crimson Clover and not real grass.

Other than my 2 class, I spent a couple of days achieving the 'birthday present' for Lady K. Her step-mother had gotten her dad to agree to letting her have her own kitten. And they wanted a kitten. Do you know how hard it is to find a kitten? Six months and older, no problem. A kitten - hard. Unless you want to pay $500 plus for a purebred kitten. 

Plus, they live in a more rural area of South Carolina. So a smaller pool. They had gotten her a small aquarium instead. But they are on a well and the initial round of fish died. 

So in an effort to avoid the housework I needed to do last week, I did a kitten search. And found one. A little black kitten. I went and picked her up and then the next day drove 2 hours down to Lady K to deliver her birthday kitten. She named it Raven.

That blew two days of 'stuff' out of the water. And I FINALLY mowed the yard before the rain returned. My yard had not been mowed for months and was ready to be bailed. And because it was so overgrown, it took longer to make it through the yard. I still have the actual garden beds for the vegetable garden to mow and set up. 

One of the little plum trees is blooming. And my Montana Peony is going to flower this spring (if they survive the lower temps this week). Right now there are at least 6 buds on it. I am so excited!

I created a 'rose arbor' over the front gate. There is a red climbing rose on either side. Both are very fragrant varieties too. I am keeping my fingers crossed the vision of this arbor filled with roses and trailing vines along the fence on either side of the arbor. Grow little roses!

But my 'downfall' has been car keys. As in locking the damn keys in the car!

I have been driving for 50 years and never had an issue with locking my keys in the car. Three times this past three weeks I 'missed' throwing them into my bag and Texter and Mr. Cobra had to come open up my car. So I have changed my purse out and hopefully that will sort out that problem.

This coming week...

  • Watching the temperatures overnight to see about covering delicate plants.
  • Birthday tea party on Saturday with Lady K and several family members in South Carolina
  • Attempt to better situate all the seedlings under lights.
  • Classes
  • Board meeting for the Herb Society

Until then, it's off to work to chop up fruit! Lots and lots of fruit.

Comments

Popular Posts