Book Police

Working at the library is like putting a drug addict in charge of the drug store.  A day doesn't go by that I don't trot home with yet another book (or six or seven) in my bag.  In the grand scheme of things, this is a fantastic thing.  I can pluck out books right and left as they catch my eye.  The downside of this is that I have a stack of books which has turned into two or three stacks.  But with all the other things I want to accomplish this year, reading is down on the list a bit.  

Don't get me wrong.  I would buy a book before I would buy new clothes or shoes (and sometimes chocolate).  However, I am going to have to be more prudent in my reading habits.  Just like a fabric diet, I am going on a book diet.  I'll just pig out in other areas.


To start the year off on the right foot, the boxes of books I had in my possession to read, I took down to Savvy in Arizona.  First, our tastes in books are similar to a point.  Secondly, she doesn't have access to a library like I do.  Four boxes of books went down for her to read in the coming year.  A few I had already read and were demanding she read because I thought they were so good.

Currently, I am checking all my stash points and putting all the books that I have in my possession from the library in a bag to take back.  I started several of them and really couldn't get into them.  And since there is nothing to say I can't stop reading if the book isn't interesting enough for me.  Why waste what little time I have to allocate to reading on a book which just doesn't appeal to me.

That said, there is about 13 pounds of books on their way to me as we speak.  However, these are for school which starts up again in 4 days.  They will be my first priority in reading.  By my bedside, there will be a book which would be considered 'light' reading and is my bedtime relaxation.  Well, maybe two.....

In the meantime, as part of this 'book diet', I will keep a list of the books which I want to read and will go back and pick them up when time permits.  Thank goodness for libraries!


Comments

Popular Posts