Missing My Southern Scents


(Texter is calling this my 'killer carnation' and says it looks like it is ready to eat someone.)

I was laying in bed the other night, thinking about winter and how soon spring would or would not be here.  Back in North Carolina, I would be starting tomatoes and early spring plants inside about now, or at least ordering seed.  That's not the case here in Helena.  

But what prompted the whole idea of scents and what I wouldn't be experiencing here in Montana (or at least I don't think I will be) was that I bought 3 hyacinth bulbs in a bulb vase, ready to bloom shortly.  I love the smell of hyacinths and being on my dresser in my bedroom, I can't wait for them to open up.

So the hyacinths lead to paper whites, which I love, but some people don't like the smell of.  They remind me of my paternal grandmother who had them in her yard.  This lead me to other floral fragrences I will miss.

Wisteria.  Banks and banks of wisteria growing along the highway and all over porches.




















Magnolias.  There were several trees in the neighborhood I would get a bloom from and come home and put in a bowl of water to make the whole house smell like I just cleaned with lemon pledge.
Honeysuckle.  What could be more Southern than a fence line of honeysuckle?  And the perfume on a warm summer night is wonderful. 






















Gardenia.  Whether they are the miniature or regular, nothing beats having a gardenia bush by the front door or under your bedroom window.
I was excited to see the lilac bushes everywhere here in Montana, so I will have a replacement 'scent'.  Peonies and sweet peas are also prominent here, but there will always be a place in my heart (and nose) for my Southern scents.
 

Comments

Popular Posts