Tuesday Sundries - Buying Food

One of my wants in 2019 is to plan my meals/food better.

There are a couple of reasons behind that goal.

The first, and I think this covers what most people want do to, is to eat healthier. Eat better. Thus, feeling better, looking better, losing weight. Easy enough. NOT!

The second reason, and one I don't think people really think about, is wasting food.

I am embarassed to even think about the amount of food which goes to waste under my roof. Part of it is because I learned to cook for 20-25 with my grandmother feeding my grandfather's railroad crew. From there, I cooked for 5 in the household growing up. 

Now I am down to cooking for 1 - me. Ok, Lady K does live here and thus, eats here. However, her eating habits are fairly defined. If you want to see an instant breakdown, tell her she has to eat green beans (one of my favorites). Of course, I feel the same way about 'smiley fries'.




I also grew up, especially in my adult years, you made one huge grocery shopping trip during the month and only went to fill-in with things like milk and bread during the rest of the month. And I have followed this thought process for decades.

And I think that is where one of my problems lie. I start out the first of the month all gung-ho and then fizzle as the month goes along. 

So I am implementing a change. I am going with what I feel is a more 'European' shopping plan. Go often, get fresh, unprocessed foods, use it up and then go again. I am going to attempt to utilize the farmer's market more. I have already promised Lady K a trip (or 2 or 3) to a strawberry patch this spring when strawberries start coming in. She also wants to do blueberries too.

Therefore...

  • Tidy up my panty (you think!)
  • Keep track of what is in the fridge/freezer
  • Meal plan a week at a time
  • Wander farmer's market
  • Learn to 'cook smaller'

But think about it. How do you eat cleaner and with less waste? Tell me your secrets!





Comments

Popular Posts