Tuesday Sundries - Meal 'Kits'

I have tried Home Chef, Hello Fresh and Blue Apron over the past couple of years. I enjoyed them immensely. 






Well, everything except the cost. They are pricey. Especially if you are on a budget and trying to feed a large family.

There are advantages to 'meal kits'. 


  • Cuts time for busy families fixing a meal
  • Keeps you out of the drive-thru lane at some fast food place
  • Very little, if any, food waste
  • Don't have to buy ingredients you might not use all of
  • Allows you to try 'something new'
  • Simplifies meal planning - it's planned for you

And I am sure there are other benefits of a meal kit.

While I would love to be a regular purchaser of these meals, I just can't afford it in the long run.

Then I discovered (and I'm probably late to the game), 'meal kits' have hit the grocery stores!

Usually in the fresh meat section of the grocery store, I first noticed them at Publix. Meal kits all bundled up and ready to go. Made for two people (or servings), there were four or five choices to pick up a 'box' and take it home. Ranging in price, some came with the whole meal and others with just the protein portion and you would have to add sides.

Last week while picking up lunch 'stuff' for Lady K at Food Lion, I was dismayed to see a huge display of 'kits'.



Some are by Smithfield, some are by Food Lion it appears. But look at the range of options. Some with the complete meal, some with just the meat! 

And look closer. Manager's Specials! So a kit for under $10. That's less than $5 a person for a nice meal. 

Harris Teeter also has some, and if you are in an area where there is still a Kroger's, they are carrying kits also. I have also found out Walmart, Costco, Target and other stores are starting to carry meal kits too.

Since I am learning to cook for one now (Lady K doesn't count) and trying to cut back on food expenses (ok, I did buy the new Oreo BIGS), plus wanting to do more than eat the same thing over and over, this is exciting.

So now I need to go out and buy a kit or two for this week!




Comments

Popular Posts