Saturday Reading - January 27

This past week saw some good reading and some reading where I just tossed them aside.

There was a time when the thought of 'abandoning' a book would have been unheard of. However, based on the size of the stack of books beside my bed, the time I have to read, I give a book about 50 pages or an hour to grab me and keep reading. After that, well, so long!

I do label them on Goodreads as 'abandoned' so if I want to I can go back and revisit and see if I want to give them another try. I do recognize a lot of time the decision to toss them aside may have to do with my mood of the moment and not the book itself.

But this past week here is what I have finished up...


The Seventh Decimate by Stephen R. Donaldson is the first of his books I've read. And I'm torn about this book. I did manage to plow through it, but very reluctantly. I think mainly because I found the main character, Prince Bifalt a pain in the ass. 

I know it is setting up what happens in the rest of the series, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for the next book in the series. 

Then there was this fun read, Dinner Chez Moi by Elizabeth Bard.


At one time I thought I would gladly move to Italy and live (and still would). But more and more I am drawn to Paris. Bard, an American in Paris, outlines recipes and tidbits of eating and dining in France. So much so, my bags are packed (not really, but I wish).

One thing I liked about this book was reinforcing the idea of 'simple and fresh'. Meals don't have to be time-consuming to make. Coming from a culture which seems to promote cooking once a month for the entire month and pulling things out of the freezer, I enjoy being reminded of how some of the best meals are easy and quick. And that going to the store more than once a month is not a bad thing. I like the idea more and more of picking up fresh ingredients for meals every other day or so.

Tips, hints and lovely illustrations make this a fun read on a snowy afternoon.

And speaking of a great read for a cold winter day...


An editor for Southern Living Magazine, Bender's The Grumpy Gardener is a fun read on all things gardening, from African Violets to ZZ Plant. 

This is a great pick up and put down book to read as each chapter covers a few topics under that letter of the alphabet. Plus you'll want to savor his funny comments to readers questions. 

Little tidbits on various plants, growing, and gardening, his opinions, and suggestions are flavored with a lot of Southern humor. And anyone who dislikes Bradford Pear trees and beets as much as I do has my respect! Plus his wife's name is Judy too.

A reread (quite by mistake) this past week was a delight.


I love Laura Childs' Theodosia Browning/Indigo Tea Shop mysteries and Pekoe Most Poison is no exception. 

Set in Charleston (beautiful town), reading her books are not mind boggling by any means. But they are great to brew that special cup of tea and curl up with. Which is really nice when your body is trying to come down with 'something' and warm and cozy is the byword of the day. This one starts with a 'Rat Tea' (yes, there was a thing) and ends up in a spa, with Theodosia leading the way to solving the murders.

Every time I read one of her Indigo Tea Shop mysteries I find myself (1) wanting a tea shop in town or (2) ordering new teas online! And this is from an iced tea fan.

But my FAVORITE this past week has me taking a whole new look at mermaids!


Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant follows Victoria Stewart on a scientific expedition to the Mariana Trench trying to solve the mystery of what happened during similar expedition seven years earlier, one that claimed her sister and all members of the crew.

An area of the ocean we know little about, it seems there are things which don't like outsiders sticking their nose in. Well, they do, they'll just bite them off, along with the rest of your face. Grant took the familiar myths of mermaids and wove it into a wonderful story.

I was captivated from the start and couldn't put the book down, wanting to see what happens and the outcome of the expedition. However, it does have me taking another look at those mermaid tail cozy blankets and shoving them in the closet!

This is what I managed to get through this week. You can always check out my full list on Goodreads if you are interested. 










Comments

Popular Posts