Saturday Reads - January 20

This has been a fun week of reading mainly because of this book.


I was first 'introduced' to Eddie Izzard via his HBO Special in the late 1990's - 'Dressed to Kill'. From there the girls and I binged on Eddie Izzard - to the point we would drive around and be quoting whole sections of his stand-up routines. 

His book reads like watching one of his shows - somewhat rambling, tangents, and lots of fun. 

While I knew some bits and pieces of his background, this book fills in the holes, concentrating mainly on his childhood and how he got to where he is today.

One thing I like about it is he doesn't come across 'oh, pity me, I'm dyslexic', but rather talks about how it had an impact on his life and how he has learned to work with it and around it to achieve his goals.

It also covers the issues with coming out and the issues he had to deal with because of it.

Great read on someone who I really like to watch. One day I'll be able to see him in person hopefully.

The next two books make me realize I would love to see a book like 'Idiot's Guide to Orchids'.


A Reader's Digest book, Orchids for Every Home is mainly pictures of different orchids - pretty, but not what I am looking for.


More of what I was looking for, but still not it. Understanding Orchids gave me a bit more information along with pictures.

What I think I really want is a book that shows me pictures of the orchid and goes...'this is the root. this is the flower spike starting. this is a keiki starting.' 

Oh well, at least the pictures in both books were pretty and I now am more aware of the benign neglect with which I grow my orchids.

Another bit of a disappointment is Rocco's Healthy + Delicious, but it's not the book's fault. 


It made me realize how much 'junk' I do eat and how I need to redo recipes to be more healthy. Of course, this book would make Savvy happy as there is a whole section on avocado recipes. 

For my creative side - 


Lots of very clear instructions with pictures and would be great for someone with a business which utilizes a chalkboard. Makes me want to get more involved with calligraphy.

Tons of books still on my to-read shelf (floor) and hopefully will get through more of them. But I have 3 movies to watch I got from the library, so there go about 6 hours of reading time. However, I can crochet or cross stitch while watch them.


Comments

Popular Posts