Positive Focus - Summer in the Garden - Week 2



This is how I have felt this week - swept away and floundering.

I will blame part of my internal feelings is my routine has been disrupted. Which really isn't a good excuse. But I'm using it. 

Lady K was here for Spring Break. Part of me is really thrilled she wants to spend time with me. Voluntarily. No 'you're going to your grandmother', but rather 'I want to go with grandma'. 

But still, I feel out of whack.

However, she did assist me in erecting two of the four arches I want in the garden. She was my zip tie person. I erected one of the arches by myself. And I have one more I want to get in place next week. And start transplanting vining veggies and plant pole beans. The tomato fence also needs to be installed and get tomatoes in the ground. 

But this week also highlighted I need to be doing a couple of things. One, I am definitely out of shape and I can't work 4-5 hours without stopping. So that ties in with eating better and getting in better physical shape. I'm fucking 65! I'm not 25 any more. 

Yes, I need to get over not being able to do hours and hours of yard work. Mowing the yard in 80 degree, humid weather is something which will wipe me out for the day. So I need to break down what I want to do into smaller chunks and do a bit at a time. 

Of course, having the weather going from mid-80's to mid-40's overnight was a bit of a downer. Especially since the lower temps brought stormy weather. I know on Friday we got about 2 inches of rain. Thus the overflowing creek behind my house. Saturday was still cool and rainy, but warmer weather is coming back.





Some mindset changes I am going to try to:

  • Instead of focusing on what I HAVEN'T done, I will focus on what I have done.
  • Stop comparing my garden/yard which I am just starting on creating my 'Eden' to people who have been working on their garden/yard for years/decades. 
  • Break my chores into bite-sized pieces rather than trying to eat the whole 'elephant' in one bite.
  • Celebrate the little things!
  • Take care of myself, mentally and physically.

This coming week will see me doing several little things:

  • Put up the 4th arch
  • Erect the tomato fence
  • Transplant seedlings
  • Plan a barrier to keep big foot dogs out of the garden areas


By the way, I have achieved 'bluebird'. There is a bluebird couple in the nesting box Lady K made a few years ago. My first bluebird. And they seem to be coping ok with it being by my front porch and being disturbed now and then by me and/or the dogs going in and out. 







 

Comments

Popular Posts