Week in Review - April 10 - 16, 2023



Another fun-filled and productive week is in the bag!

Monday, Lady K needed to be taken home. And I had it set up to cut bamboo on the way to use in my garden. The day started early with a stop at the annual Gaston County Library Book Sale. Lady K found several books (I picked up a couple). Then it was off to Crowder Mountain State Park. 

We have the North Carolina State Park Passport book and wanted our stamps in the book. Then off to Bush-n-Vine for lunch and ice cream. Back in the car and off to cut bamboo and load it onto the top of the car. That part of the day wasn't as easy as I thought. Securing it to the top of the car was an issue, but we prevailed.

Then a stop at Chester State Park in South Carolina. I pass it every time I pick up or drop off Lady K. We got our stamp and back in the car to home. Because the bamboo took longer than we thought, we skipped stopping at Dreherr Island State Park for our stamp in the South Carolina State Park Passport.

I took an additional day off this past week because I had a lovely day and momentum in the garden. I got one 31 foot row of tomatoes planted. Squash are in the ground, along with a few potatoes. 

Saturday was an up and out early day! The Rosemary and Thyme Herb Society was having its annual plant sale at the Mount Holly Farmer's Market. Fun, fun, fun!

I had saved from work several strawberry flats and wooden crates to use at the sale. The staff at the Farmer's Market were so great! They had tables, covers, awnings and chairs for us. The market is small, but the vendors there were so good. I spent more money than I should have. But I got some great sourdough bread, hot salsa and some tea towels, along with plants (of course). 

At home, 'Christine' peony opened her first flower!

I am so, so, happy about that. I see this peony as an illustration of my life. Despite ups and downs, you can prevail and 'bloom'. 

A book I had preordered arrived. Madman's Will by Gregory May arrived. This will be a slow read. The person being written about is an ancestor of mine. So far I learned not only was he active in early American politics in Virginia, but he was also bat-shit nuts at the time of his death. Which is about what I expect from Randolphs. Now to learn about the slaves he supposedly freed in his will at the time of his death. And this from someone who advocated slavery. So I am interested to see why this happened.

Otherwise this past week...

  • Wrote 4 posts
  • Finished 4 books
  • Made 2 batches of strawberry jam
  • Bought 3 North Sea Oats at the UNC Botanical Garden Sale

This coming week...

  • Attending Lady K's play where she has a solo
  • Attending the Master Gardeners monthly meeting where NCTomatoMan will be the speaker
  • Picking up Lady K 
  • Lots of gardening

But in the meantime, breakfast, lunch and a nap before heading to work. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts