Seedy Saturday - Chores and Comparing My Garden



Tucked into a corner between the front porch and the house is my Mexican Anise bush.  It is covered with lovely maroon flowers.




Another 'blooming' thing in the front yard is my Sweet William which I received the seeds from Miss Oklahoma last year. I had planted them last year, transplanting them into one of the front beds. They overwintered nicely and this year have 'leaped' forward in size and flowering.




A couple more plants which have overwintered and sprung to life is a clump of bergamot, some salvia, poppies and my yarrow. This bed will be overflowing shortly.

In the veggie garden area, beets, Swiss chard, peas are coming up, along with the calendula. The Sweet Peas are slowly getting over being transplanted. I think I am going to look into planting the Sweet Peas directly in the ground much earlier next year. 

Lady K assisted with the installation of 2 of the three arches up in the garden. She loved being the 'zip-tie' person. I put up the third one by myself. While the hog wire arches will probably (fingers crossed) be ok, I am saving for cattle panels for next year - but we will see.

Hopefully, I can get pole beans planted and some of the squashes and gourds transplanted this weekend. Then the hog wire 'fence' up for tomatoes set up. And get tomatoes in the ground. Then I can work on planting out the rest of the garden next week.

But one thing I am struggling with is looking at my garden/yard and comparing it to other gardens that I see. I have to remind myself this is only really the second year in this garden. Last year was a set-up just to see what the yard was like. This year I am getting things set up permanently. However, I keep see pictures of friend's gardens which are established and all the wonderful things they are doing and I start comparing and getting disappointed. So I need to get over myself!

Things are going well. A long list of chores to be completed in the coming weeks. It will get done. Slowly, but surely.





 

Comments

Popular Posts