Seedy Saturday - All Netted Up!


This will be the third spring Savvy will be able to harvest blueberries from her own bush. I did trim it up a bit earlier in the year. And this year it is loaded with blueberries. So much so I invested in some bird netting.

For the record, I have never used netting before on anything in the garden before. But being the greedy person that I am, I want ALL the blueberries! 



So after investing $10 in bird netting to cover a HUGE blueberry bush, I went out Friday morning to attempt to cover the bush. Just to note - I am 5'10" tall. And this bush is a couple of feet over my head. A definite pruning is mandated next winter. 


Say hello to "Nettie". 

I realize it is not 100% bird and squirrel proof. But it will (1) protect the berries there until ripe for the most part and (2) I won't feel bad about cutting a hole in the netting in order to harvest the berries if I need to. 

Also in the garden one of the Sweet 100 tomato plants has a branch of blooms and a second one started. There are also baby tomatoes on the first branch.


My Cherokee Purple has a couple of blooms on it and I have had to start tying up the tomatoes to their strings as they have really grown over the past couple of weeks. 

Savvy is enjoying being able to go outside and pick herbs from the garden. I have a random assortment which, once I get my own garden, will be rounded out more. I would really love a circular herb patch with a huge rosemary in the center. Miss Oklahoma (in Montana) will be called to design one for me as she is a great garden planner and doer.

But for now, in the garden in containers, are the following herbs:

Basil (with more to follow)
Cilantro (for Savvy)
Lemon Thyme (2 plants)
Dill
Chives (2 plants)
Mint
Spearmint
French Lavender (and I want more)
Chocolate Mint
Lemon Balm (tons)
Cat Mint
Oregano
Pineapple Sage
Sage
Flat Leaf Parsley
Rosemary

It's a pretty good assortment of herbs (for now). Plus the cats have come to expect a bit of cat mint when I go out into the garden. They are such drug addicts when it comes to the cat mint. 

I want to add a couple more tomato plants, but am holding off until May and hopefully getting some seedlings from NCTomatoMan.

For now, it is tweaking the pots and what is growing and just sitting and enjoying the garden. 


Comments

Popular Posts