Writing Wednesday - It's In The Cards

So...

I admit, I have been slacking off my actual writing like crazy. Blog posts and journaling have been going well, but actual novel writing hasn't been. 

Then in the midst of all the covid-19 hoo-ha, I succumbed to some online shopping and made a 'writing' purchase - Fabula Cards.



Long story short, it is a deck of cards you use to write your story based on the Hero's Journey


I received it on Monday, opened it on Wednesday morning after a LLLOOONNNGGGG day at work on Tuesday. 


There are three colors of cards in the deck. The blue are Assets and describe your main characters and the world they exist in. The yellow ones are story development and the black ones are readers steps and levels. 


There is also a small booklet enclosed to give a quick overview of using the cards.


Just my initial thoughts is the cards are helpful in asking questions which need to be answered for the story. And the initial (blue) cards do suggest making a moodboard and include pictures of where the story is taking place. 

My thought is I would get another piece of poster board and up the cards and the notes on it beside my desk. Having them 'in my face' may help me sit down and write.

Also, while these books follow the Hero's Journey, it's only one path of storytelling. I can adapt any future writing to other paths and make my own cards to fill in the other beats for the other routes.

It's going to be interesting to use these cards.

Note: NaNoWriMo just announced there would not be any in-person meetups for NaNoWriMo this year. It's sad and bit concerning things in November are already being altered. 

Comments

Popular Posts