Seedy Saturday - Indoor Reset and Outdoor Growing


I recently 'picked up' a Chlorophytum comosum “Variegatum” or in other terms, a Reverse Variegated Spider Plant. The leaves are green in the center and white on the edges. This is opposite of the normal spider plant. And the above is the flower on one of the branches. It's inside and, so far, is doing well. It's cousin, the regular spider plant, is hanging in there. No so happy.

Anyway...

I did take about an hour out of my schedule and FINALLY clean up and rearrange my indoor plant shelves. Not only did it need to be done, but I wanted the humidifier to sit in the middle of the top shelf in order to get the mist closer to the plants.

One thing I can say about my indoor plants is that I suck with succulents!

Outside, on the patio, my Winter Sowing is going well and expanding. 



The first pot of bulbs is going great guns. I am sure within another few weeks I will be able to figure out what is planted in this container. I didn't label my 3 containers with the bulbs I planted in which pots. (Hanging head in shame)

The seeds I planted a month ago are coming on well. I am impressed with the whole winter sowing so far.








 












The flat of spinach and mixed lettuce is doing well. I think I will probably be giving away some seedlings in the next couple of months.



Another jug with some mixed lettuce it in. Lots and lots of salads in my future.


And still more lettuce.

I think I initially wasn't putting much faith in the whole winter sowing thing. 


These are my little Tom Thumb Peas

I think I am going to give it another couple of weeks and then plant some in a container or two in the garden itself. They are supposed to be little plants, hence the name. So I am not expecting a huge harvest. I just want enough to make a meal or two of fresh peas. Being a Southern gal, my experience with 'peas' are generally field peas - like black-eyed peas, crowder peas and the like. "English" peas are not something I grew up growing as it typically gets too hot, too soon for them to do well.


And speaking of sweet peas, but of the flowering variety, they are sprouting too!

I want to plant these so they will climb up the fence. I would really like to get a few flowers (and seeds) from these this spring. And like the eating peas, I'll probably traditionally plant some in the next few weeks in the containers along the fence. My plan is to have the sweet peas growing up twine along the fence with lettuce and spinach in the front of the container. 


My China Family Poppies are coming along. I am recycling the black containers our flowers at the store are shipped in to plant my flowers, most of which are perennials. Then I can set them in the yard wherever I want to place them.


This is my Night Scented Stock which is doing well. I really hope these do well and are as fragrant as they claim. And I hope I can collect seed from them this summer.

I am eagerly anticipating the emergence of the seeds I planted about 10 days ago. I know it will take them another couple of weeks to get going, but I am really enjoying this winter gardening and seeing the green coming up. 

The next couple of weeks I may dip back into my seed stash and plant additional seeds - because, well, I can. 

 
























Comments

Popular Posts