Seedy Saturday - Winter Sowing Is Growing!

I'm off work today (huzzah)! 

However, the high today is supposed to be 47 degrees with a slight chance of rain. So grey, cloudy and chilly. The perfect day to stay inside and cook that chuck roast for dinner.

Outside, despite the low temperatures, things are chugging along and coming up green! 

Last Sunday, the 10th, I had a few moments and decided to check on what was already in containers and to add more seeds to other containers I had amassed.



See? Those little green, pointy things? I have some bulbs coming up. I think these are the daffodils in this pot. Being the 'Master' gardener I think I am (not really), I didn't label the 3 pots of bulbs as to what was in each pot. And so far, the squirrels haven't discovered I have a buffet of bulbs easily reached on the patio.


Stock, which is fragrant, has emerged. I have found out not only is it scented, but it does well in cool temperatures. Plus, plus!


Another scented favorite which does well in cooler temperatures are my Sweet Peas. And they are starting to emerge. 

Seeing little green fingers poking out means I need to put at least one rectangular bin on my 'need to pick up' list and have it ready in the next few weeks. My plan it to plant these against the fence so I can run twine up from the pot to the top of the fence for them to climb on. 

Then in the front of the bin, I'll plant lettuce and spinach. Which means...



These beauties will have a home - before I eat them. All my lettuces and spinach are coming along nicely. In fact, people might be receiving pots of lettuce seedlings for Valentine's Day! 


My first of four types of poppies are starting to emerge. Despite reading they don't like their roots disturbed, many people on the forums for Winter Sowing are saying they do great with this method. This China Family Poppy looks like a poppy with a shaggy hair-do. This year will also be the first year I have grown poppies. Not only am I looking forward to their 'look', three of the four poppies are great for bread seed. I fear there might be a lot of poppy seed cakes and bread in my future. 

My Tom Thumb Peas are starting to emerge also. In fact, most of the seeds I planted on December 19 have started sprouting.

After a couple of hours in the chilly Sunday afternoon, this is what my Winter Sowing 'line-up' looks like...

















































I do have to express my one pet peeve with Winter Sowing. It's not really about the winter sowing itself, but some of the people who are in the forums and Facebook groups. People, it's not about perfection!

While I admire the people who take the time and effort to carefully cut each milk jug (and some do hundreds!) and carefully tape them up, lining them in perfect rows, each jug pristine and perfect, my method is on the opposite end of the spectrum. My Winter Sowing method involves 'dump in potting mix, seeds, a label, tape it up and set it out somewhere'. Wham, bam, done!

No offense meant, Miss Oklahoma! Because I know you fall on the other end of the spectrum from me! 

So while the seeds are in their little winter homes I am eyeballing the raspberry bushes I rescued last fall and hoping they are going to come back this year. I will be sad if they don't. They looked pretty good going into winter, but now they look really sad. Only time and warmer weather will tell.

But for now I'm happy and can't wait for the second round of seeds to start sprouting. I love the fact things are growing without me having to turn lights on and off inside, clearing off a table or shelves to start my seeds. Nor am I going to have to worry about hardening them off, something I fail at miserably every time I start seeds.

Maybe when I get my forever home I'll be a bit more particular about how my containers look, but for now I'm happy. 

Comments

Popular Posts