Saturday Reading - In the Garden

Well, I am reading more gardening books recently. Right now I am reading The Ever Curious Gardener by Lee Reich, but I don't think it's going to help some of my tomatoes. 



My tomatoes in pots on the patio are doing quite well for the most part. 



In fact, a couple of them are loaded with flowers.

And the pumpkin seeds I threw out in the front flower bed seem to be coming along. 


Don't anticipate much from them as the bed is shaded most of the day, but it isn't deep shade. So we will seed. They were old seed from a couple of years ago, so I am really surprised anything came up.

I turned Lady K loose with the seeds a week ago.


Between her 'planting' and the rain, everything is all in one spot. I think this is mainly radishes. There should be a few zinnia in there too. And who knows what else is in there.


In the front corner my zucchini and cucumber are taking off. Since they are both bush types, I hope they have enough room, but they have zoomed along in two weeks.

I do need to repot my avocado soon, but it is enjoying being outside.


On the other side of the front walk, and an area which gets more sun during the day, my peppers and eggplant are doing well. Chard is taking it's time. Basil is doing ok. 

But my tomatoes in front? Well, I am holding my breath.

Granted these weren't the best of the lot I received. And after planting, we were hit with rain for several days in a row. I picked off the spotted lower foliage, resulting in tomato 'lollipops'!

And my poor Sungold...


I feel like I have Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree here. Which is really disappointing because this is one of my favorite tomatoes and the plant can withstand anything. Maybe it will come around soon.

All in all, I'm not too unhappy about my 'rush' job on a garden this year. Grow babies, grow!

Comments

Popular Posts