Saturday Reads

Before anyone gets their knickers in a wad, I didn't actually start and finish all the following books this past week. 

Most of them have been started over the past month and just finally finished this week.


I basically leafed through the crochet border books, looking for ideas to finish off my half-square afghan. And while there were tons of ideas (can you make just a border afghan), I went super simple on my afghan. But it was really nice to see all the possible options out there.

Book eight in the 'Wheel of Time' is finished (finally) and now onto book nine, Winter's Heart. At 24 hours of audio, I need to do a lot of driving and sewing (but not at the same time) to get through it. There are 14 books in the series, so lots of listening to come.

Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs, is me going back to read some of her early books. It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast and a nice, easy read.

Three nonfiction books are on my finished list. The Ever Curioius Gardener goes into a lot of the science behind gardening. I really want this book to have on my shelf in order to pull out and reference from time to time.

The other nonfiction, Ideas, Influence and Income cover the 'business' of writing and promoting your book. Interesting, but I'm not there yet. However, it does give me a lot to think about. There is a lot of self-promotion you have to do these days in order to get your book out there, especially if you self-publish.

A fun read was Wanderful - The Modern Bohemian's Guide to Traveling in Style. Targeting a much younger audience, it gave several off the beaten track trips in the United States, whether you have only a day or a week. And fun wardrobe selections to go with it. Made me want to through some t-shirts in a backpack and head out.

Two fiction books I am on the fence about are Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru and An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors

But one which I received as part of a Goodreads Giveaway really caught my attention. Kingdom of Ruin by Bianca Mckay is book one in a series and I really can't wait to continue the story of Emerald and the Lord of Death. Elves versus Fae. Young woman coming into her magical abilities and finding her soulmate. Surprised me by how much I enjoyed reading it. (And right now it's free if you have Kindle Unlimited)

So a huge stack gone from my bedside table and off my iPad. However, don't worry. I have replaced them already!



Comments

Popular Posts