Wednesday Writing - It's Ok To Quit

Actually, it's not about writing, but about knitting. And about life.

I finished the project I had picked out for my June project. So I dipped into my WIP's and pulled out my Holden Shawlette to work on. 


It's been in storage for 5 years and I don't know how long it sat before that. The sad part is I stopped in the middle of a row - go figure.

I picked it up to start working on it again. After all, I was using some great yarn and beads. But I quickly realized two things - (1) I was using bamboo needles, which meant every stitch 'stuck' and (2) my count was SO far off it was crazy.

I also came to the conclusion even if I figured it out and corrected the problems, I don't really wear shawls, especially a 'shawlette'. If I am going to wear one, I want to WEAR it and it has to be HUGE!

Therefore, I sat watching YouTube videos and carefully frogged it, catching beads as they came off the shawlette and returning them to their bag.

Now I have a ball of yarn to incorporate into a bigger shawl. I have several which uses different colors of yarn and this would work out well.

Then I went back to my 'Storage' projects and pulled out a pair of socks.


These are socks made with the Classic Ribbed Sock pattern from a wonderful store, Shuttle, Hooks and Needles, which is now closed. 

I loved going to that store because it was a wonderful place to poke in all the nooks and crannies to see what she had. Her focus was on weaving, but she was the closest place to me for the longest time which sold good yarns.

I have one sock completed and the other sock is about 1/3 of the way complete. It should be a simple finish this month in the knitting/crochet category.

My point? It's OK to quit sometimes. 

Not that you should give up every time the going gets tough. After all, that's what actually makes us better. Not only at knitting, but also at life in general. But sometimes it's better to realize what you are doing is pointless and the end result is not what you want/need anyway. So why waste time and energy on it?

Sometimes saying goodbye to a thing you thought you wanted and moving on is the best solution.

Comments

Popular Posts