Positive Focus Thursday - Not Really Needed

Tuesday night, luckily later in the evening, my internet went out. Seems there was a cable outage in the area (not that I hadn’t paid the bill). I was on my way to bed anyway, so I actually politely thanked the gentleman helping me and went to bed.

Wednesday morning, my day off, the internet still out.

Ok. Now we are getting ‘serious’!

You see, I operate by routine. I love my routine. I will ‘break’ my routine, but only if I plan it. I know, a contradiction in ideas, but I love my day-to-day routine. That means I get up, take the dog out, feed the animals and then sit down at the computer.

Another call to AT&T and speaking to Eric, a delightful gentleman from France (he was surprised I guessed he was French as most people think he is from India), I know it’s going to be out for a while longer.

F***!

Those who have lived with me know this is enough to send me over the moon without the aid of a rocket. I would be pissed to no end. 

But…

I didn’t. 

I brought up YouTube on my phone to have something to listen to. I had about 70 videos on my ‘watch’ list, so I turned those on. And I quilted a bit. 

Then I got a wild hair and decided to change up the upstairs office/sewing room/playroom. 

Where is Texter when I need her? She is my rearranges of rooms!

Before there was a rug in front of the TV for Lady K to catch spills, drops, crayons, etc. And a twin bed mattress set which we had turned into a couch. The only problem is there is no back to it, so It’s not really comfortable to lounge on. At least for me. Amani uses it for a bed. 


Out it went into the ‘spare bedroom’.

I shampooed the rug since the window was open because it was pleasantly cool Wednesday morning. Then came the hard part.

Downstairs in the living room was a recliner and a chair and ottoman, which needed to be brought upstairs. Once again, where is Texter?!

So downstairs there is only a recliner and a chaise lounge which I need to recover - someday. 

What about visitors, you ask?

I don’t have visitors! LOL

Anyone who comes inside my home knows I don’t entertain. They are friends and don’t care I have an empty living room and everything is upstairs in one room. 

But what I came to understand is I don’t NEED all that space. Which will come in handy when I am looking for a house to buy in the future. I can look at two bedrooms, as long as the living room is big enough to hold my computer, sewing and TV. 

And the same thing I have come to understand about my planner needs.

Now I LOVE planners (and notebooks and pens and pencils and…) If I had my way I would probably have one of every planner out there. But do I need them?

NO!

I am a one-book-planner-all-the-time person. I have tried, for years, to keep different things in different planners, but I have to finally admit - I can’t use them like that. I need everything in one place. It’s really satisfying to finally admit I don’t need 10 planners and segment my life into parts. I have already made a decision on my Hobonichi order for 2020 planners and won't be purchasing any other planners. 


Which lead me to stop and think, what do I really need? 

Last night, I sat in my 'new' TV viewing area and was able to stitch, watch TV and be in the center of things as far as where I function in the house.



I have moved the lamp to the other side of the chair so my hand won't throw a shadow on the fabric while stitching. 

Amani likes the arrangement until I decide to come over and stitch. I'll have to make her a 'bed' to lay on when I want to stitch and watch TV. 

This revelation is really helpful to have been realized before I start seriously looking at houses. I can look for smaller houses, which mean I have a better chance of finding a ranch-style home rather than a two-story house.

It means I won't be wasting money on planners which will not be used. Yes, I can still lust after all those beautiful planners, but I know in my heart I am only faithful to my Hobonichi. 

I am now slowly, but hopefully, surely, looking at things with the eye toward 'Do I really need it?"



Comments

Popular Posts