Tuesday Sundries - Summer Hibernation

Forget hibernating during the winter!

I want to hibernate during the summer!

Ugh. I have a lawn to mow and even at eight in the evening, it's still too hot to mow. And early morning? Well, the grass is too wet from dew to mow. 

I feel like one of those animals that reaches it's paws out, grabs whatever comes by, and pulls it back into it's lair.

Luckily, it can be productive.

The garden is slowly giving into the heat also. But I do have a nice supply of cherry tomatoes in all colors.


And while I can only dream about having a bushel of tomatoes to can for winter soups and chili, I do have two pints of cherry tomatoes, canned and ready to bring a bit of summer to the kitchen this winter.

I have also dried some chili peppers to use later.


Now it just need to snip off the stem and put into a jar for later use. I thought about stringing up, but I decided they would get a bit dusty hanging up and they will go into a jar.

A co-worker is generously bringing me figs. On Sunday morning they went into a pot for a small batch of Fig and Honey Jam.



The small batch made about a pint of fig jam. The little jar I gave to the person who is giving me her figs. The partial jar is in my fridge for my own consumption.

More figs are heading my way, as will pears when they ripen. I can't wait. Next to peach, pear preserves are my favorite.

So I am 'hibernating' until I am forced out to mow my yard. And pick more cherry tomatoes.


Comments

Popular Posts