Seedy Saturday - A Bit of Seed Saving and Seed Planting

Thursday morning (after my wonderful breakfast), I ventured outside to do a bit of garden work before it got too hot. Heat and humidity to the point that just standing there has sweat pouring down my face is not for me.

Anyway...


My first job was to take the peppers and do a bit of seed saving. Hopefully, I am doing it correctly. Only time will tell.




The above are Carolina Amethyst - starts out as a small to medium sized purple pepper and turns red.




This is Raulston 19-20, named after J.C. Raulston, who the arboretum is named after in Raleigh. Variegated foliage makes this a great looking addition to the garden. The peppers start out green with some variegation itself and then turns orange. They are small sweet peppers, but the foliage alone is worth growing it. 



So now I have several plates of seeds laid out in my room to dry a bit before putting them into envelopes. 


I didn't get to save tomato seeds. I really don't have room or the set-up to save those seeds, much to my disappointment. I'll have to beg and plead for some 'fun' seeds next spring. 


I have set out some transplants of lettuce...


And started seeds for more lettuce and kale. 


I did put in some catnip seeds as my plants are getting a bit skimpy with the heat. And the cats glare at me when I walk indoors. 

I have pulled out most of the tomatoes and put in some bush beans as an experiment to see if I can get them to produce anything before it gets too cold. After all, it's that what gardening is all about - experimenting?

So after about an hour and a half early in the morning, it was already too hot for me. So indoors for a shower and an early lunch of soup made from tomatoes from the garden. And of course, a nap!

Comments

Popular Posts